The Fred W. Smith National Library for the Study of George Washington, home of the George Washington Leadership Institute, is proud to host George Washington’s Yorktown: From Mount Vernon to Victory, June 6-7, 2015. Join us for a two-day tour and battlefield excursion experience that highlights the strategic, operational, and tactical levels of the Yorktown campaign. Taught by noted historian and military expert, Dr. Ricardo Herrera from the US Command and General Staff College, participants will gain a deeper understanding of the interplay between leadership, planning, and execution that lead the American coalition forces from Mount Vernon to Victory.
The Yorktown program emphasizes the roles played by the leading actors during the campaign. The examination of the events leading to and throughout the campaign will stress the military leaders’ understanding of the situation at select moments, the contingent nature of their decision-making, as well as the attributes of their leadership. The second day will use the Yorktown battlefield as a classroom as participants witness, step-by-step, the events constituting the siege and the final surrender of Lord Cornwallis’s forces on October 19, 1781. The program will conclude with a discussion of the consequences of the campaign and lessons learned. Additional highlights of the program will include unique behind-the-scenes experiences at The Fred W. Smith National Library for the Study of George Washington and Mount Vernon.
Ricardo A. Herrera is a historian and Associate Professor of Military History at the Fort Leavenworth US Army Command and General Staff College’s School of Advanced Military Studies, with a specialization in eighteenth- and nineteenth-century American military history and Early American history. Prior to joining SAMS, he spent six years teaching, leading, and designing staff rides at the Combat Studies Institute, US Army Combined Arms Center, Fort Leavenworth. His forthcoming book, For Liberty and the Republic: The American Citizen as Soldier, 1775-1861, is being published by New York University Press and will be released in April 2015.
- Overview of the Yorktown Campaign at The Fred W. Smith National Library by noted historian Ricardo A. Herrera
- Staff-lead tour of The Fred W. Smith National Library and the Donald W. Reynolds Museum and Education Center
- Exclusive viewing of rare Yorktown Campaign and Revolutionary War related documents and manuscripts
- Provided lunch and transportation to Williamsburg
- Dinner in Colonial Williamsburg
- Evening accommodations in the heart of Colonial Williamsburg
- Historian lead bus and walking tour of the Yorktown Battlefield
- In-Depth discussion and examination of the Yorktown Campaign
- Lunchtime accommodations and transportation back to Mount Vernon
- Lecture, discussion, and battlefield tour from a leading military scholar on the American Revolution
- Lunch on both days, Saturday dinner
- Travel to and around Colonial Williamsburg and Yorktown
- Accommodations in the heart of Colonial Williamsburg
To register, please visit our website using this direct link.
George Washington’s Yorktown: From Mount Vernon to Victory is br ought to you by the George Washington Leadership Institute at Mount Vernon. The George Washington Leadership Institute at Mount Vernon is the ONLY leadership development program in the world to focus its teaching exclusively on the leadership principles exemplified and executed by this remarkable hero and statesman—principles that have been proven effective for more than 200 years.
George Washington’s biography is the ultimate leadership manual: a veritable primer on how to consistently lead with honor, courage, wisdom, and unwavering commitment to excellence.
Centered in the stunning Fred W. Smith National Library for the Study of George Washington at Mount Vernon, the Leadership Institute’s programs seamlessly blend historical examination with modern-day insight, to take you deep inside Washington’s world and mind.
- Fascinating lectures and discussions led by world-renowned scholars and experts,
- Behind-the-scenes exploration of Washington’s beautiful Mount Vernon estate, and
- Examination and analysis of original documents and manuscripts, and MORE
… you will learn to connect the lessons of the past to the specific issues you face today, and apply to your own performance the same principles and strategies that guided Washington’s actions and contributed to his phenomenal success.
To find out more about the George Washington Leadership Institute at Mount Vernon, visit our website at www.mountvernon.org/leadership
George Washington’s Yorktown: From Mount Vernon to Victory
2-Day Excursion Program
June 6 – 7, 2015