>> Editorial Board:
Managing Editor: Don N. Hagist (email@example.com)
Social Media Manager: Katie Turner Getty
Associate Editor: J. L. Bell
Associate Editor: Jim Piecuch
Associate Editor: Ray Raphael
Founding Editor: Todd Andrlik
Publisher: Bruce H. Franklin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
*****Please send all article pitches and submissions to email@example.com
Journal of the American Revolution is the leading source of knowledge about the American Revolution and Founding. We deliver America’s most important history straight to your inbox.
>> Fast Facts
- Established in 2013
- Peer-reviewed content published in three ways: 1) free online magazine; 2) annual volumes of the best articles in a calendar year, and 3) branded book series
- More than 6 million unique readers since the launch
- More than 10 million page views since launch
- More than 1700 articles published
- More than 300 expert contributors
- Our historical research and writing has been featured or cited by CNN, Discovery Channel, History Channel, TIME, New York Times, Smithsonian, Bloomberg, Slate, AHA, Huffington Post, History News Network, MSNBC, NPR, Mental Floss, and many other outlets.
- Numerous academic and trade books, Wikipedia entries, and other sites have cited research and writing that first appeared in Journal of the American Revolution
- Publishers, TV and film producers, conference organizers, speaker bureaus, and others approach us for guidance in their Revolutionary War-oriented endeavors
Our mission is simple: Deliver smart, ideally groundbreaking historical research and well-written narrative. In a world of increasing historical illiteracy and apathy, Journal of the American Revolution publishes passionate, creative, and fresh content intended to make history more accessible. Our editorial menu offers a healthy variety of in-depth features and engaging columns, in both short- and long-form, with an eye for accuracy over myth and legend. Collectively, our rapidly growing archive provides amazing substance, depth, and breadth as the leading source of information about the American Revolution and Founding eras.
>> Our History
Journal of the American Revolution is the brainchild of Reporting the Revolutionary War author Todd Andrlik. It was just a napkin sketch in August 2012 but following a few months of consultation with fellow enthusiast and historian Hugh T. Harrington the website quickly took shape and began publishing content in January 2013. Almost overnight, the online magazine exploded in popularity and historian Don N. Hagist was enlisted to co-edit the publication. In time, more historians — J. L. Bell, Jim Piecuch, and Ray Raphael — were added as associate editors to enhance the leadership and subject matter expertise of the editorial board. Expanding our product line beyond the online magazine, Journal of the American Revolution also produces annual hardcover volumes that give prominence and permanence to our authors’ most resourceful articles of each calendar year. In 2015, a new book series with Westholme Publishing was launched. In December 2017, Westholme’s publisher, Bruce H. Franklin, assumed responsibility for ownership and management of the journal and named Don N. Hagist as managing editor. Katie Turner Getty became the journal’s social media manager. In January 2019, Dispatches: The Podcast of the Journal of the American Revolution, hosted by historian Brady J. Crytzer, debuted and now has tens of thousands of listeners. The journal remains the go-to source for premium content about the American Revolution and Founding eras.
We do not charge for access. Our valued authors donate their time and talents to educate and entertain our readers, who, in return, often leave the thoughtful, engaging and helpful commentary to continue the conversation after each article. Without our authors and readers, the Journal of the American Revolution isn’t possible. Thank you!
>> Contribute: Click here if you want to be a contributor.
>> Syndicate: For media interested in reprinting/repurposing a single article or syndicating a series of articles, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
>> Advertise: Click here to learn more.